Psychotherapist & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
My Story: Becoming a Psychotherapist
In my journey of healing I have used many highly effective therapy approaches that I passionately share with my clients. I’m trained in several proven methods including EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, and Trauma Sensitive Yoga Therapy.
I became a psychotherapist because I’m fascinated with people and I want to help them find relief from their suffering. Healing trauma can be challenging work, but it can also be life changing.
I’m an experienced psychotherapist and nurse practitioner and Director of Living Consciously in Dee Why. Using a holistic framework, I specialise in treating people with difficult mental health issues that are often related to traumatic experiences.
My Philosophy as a Holistic Therapist and Nurse Practitioner
Change in therapy occurs when you are able to resolve lingering issues often from the past. Once these problems are healed, you will be more able to accept who you are, feel more safe and secure in yourself, and find more meaning in your life.
I’ve seen people who have struggled for years turn their lives around, so I know it is always possible to break through pain, chronic depression, anxiety and unhappiness to create a life you love.
Regardless of how much you have suffered, if you are committed to your growth and development, eventually you can have the life that you want.
Why Choose Me as Your Therapist?
- I am a calm, compassionate, and non-judgmental therapist.
- I work to develop relationships of deep trust and understanding with you. My clients often comment that they value this quality in me greatly.
- I have a great deal of experience helping people overcome complex and persistent problems.
- I will never give up on you. I will hold the hope for you even if you are feeling discouraged or hopeless.
- As a nurse practitioner as well as a psychotherapist, I can prescribe psychotropic medication if needed. My knowledge of psychotropic medications is extensive, so I can help you understand pharmacotherapy options, which can often be overwhelming.
- As a holistic therapist, I offer healthy eating and exercise information.
- As a trained nurse practitioner, I can screen for physical health issues that may be contributing to your emotional or psychological problems.
- I can provide medical rebates because I am an endorsed licensed nurse practitioner.
Over 20 Years of Counselling Experience
I have more than 20 years of counselling experience. Before starting my private psychotherapy practice, I was a group and individual therapist in several private psychiatric hospitals. My work focused on helping people with mental health issues including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), addictions, and eating disorders.
It was a privilege and a humbling experience to work in these hospitals with people so deeply affected by loss and trauma, and yet prepared to share this hope with other patients and with myself.
I am grateful that I can now share the knowledge I gained working with these patients with my clients in my private counselling practice.
During my career, I have provided expert mental health consultation services in the emergency department of a hospital. It was an honour to provide lifesaving mental health care to people presenting with acute psychological despair.
My experiences as a mental health consultant enabled me to know that in some small way I may have helped turn someone’s life around.
I’ve also led yoga and meditation classes in private psychiatric hospitals and marvelled at the transformational effects these ancient healing practices have on people.
I have over 20 years experience helping people with a range of mental health issues including trauma, depression, anxiety, addictions and eating disorders.
Counselling and Nursing Education & Training
- Master of Science in Medicine (in Psychotherapy)
- Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner)
- B.A. in Social Welfare
- Graduate Diploma in Emotionally Focused Counselling
- Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Teaching Certificate
- Certificate in Trauma Studies
- Diploma in Botanical Medicine
- Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR)
- Somatic Experiencing Certification
My Personal Life
When I’m not working, I love swimming at the beach and practicing yoga and meditation. These activities help me stay calm and balanced. I enjoy traveling and spending time with family and friends.
These self-care activities help ensure that I stay focused and grounded in my sessions with my clients.